Spring classes and support groups great for seniors
A Note from Linda...
May 6, 2021
Missoula Aging Services is offering three excellent classes this spring and two virtual support groups!
In the educational courses offered you may participate online using ZOOM. Pre-registration is required online at missoulaagingservices.eventbrite.com or by calling Missoula Aging Services 406-728-7682.
1. Virtual Social Security Workshop: The next class is Wednesday, May 26, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. An additional class is offered July 14, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Cost $10/person with no-cost tickets available.
The Virtual Social Security Workshop through Missoula Aging Services is a two-hour session where people learn about their Social Security options in a small, interactive setting that prioritizes time for questions and answers. Mary Olson, Volunteer and MAS Social Security Specialist, presents the workshop.
The workshop agenda includes: Factors to Consider as to When to Start Receiving Benefits; General Requirements for Retirement Benefits; Spouse’s Benefits; Divorced Spouse’s Benefits; Widow(er)’s / Divorced Widow(er)’s Benefits; and How Work and Earnings Affect Benefits.
2. New to Medicare: A Virtual Workshop: The next class is Wednesday, May 12, 6-7:30 p.m. Additional classes are offered: Tuesday, June 15, 12-1:30 p.m.; Thursday, July 15, 6-7:30 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 25, 12-1:30 p.m. Cost $20/person with no-cost tickets available.
Kathy Kimmet and Megan Fournier, Resource Specialists at MAS and trained SHIP Counselors, will present the workshop.
For individuals who will be new to Medicare in the next year topics include: Important Enrollment Dates; Limited Guaranteed Issue Rights; How to Save Money on Prescription Drugs; How to Prevent Late Enrollment Penalties; Options to Help Pay for Medicare Costs; and Choosing a Plan.
3. Virtual Aging Mastery Program® (AMP) (11-week course) from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Mondays. Summer Session is July 12-Sept. 27. No-cost for Montana residents who graduate from the class.
While AMP utilizes several different guest speakers on various topics, the facilitator is the backbone of the program. Teresa Sacks, AMP Facilitator at MAS, presents the program.
The Aging Mastery Program is a comprehensive and fun approach to aging well that encourages adults 55+ to enhance their health, financial well-being, social connectedness and overall quality of life. Central to the AMP philosophy is the belief that modest lifestyle changes can produce big results and that people can be empowered and supported to cultivate health and longevity.
There are two no-cost virtual Caregiver Support Groups available via ZOOM or by phone:
1. The third Tuesday of each month from 1-2 p.m. The next meeting is May 18. Facilitated by Lois Mandelko-Steinberg.
2. The second Monday of each month from 4-5 p.m. The next meeting is May 10. Facilitated by Laura Degele.
• Sign up by Wednesday the week before online at missoulaagingservices.eventbrite.com or call 406-728-7682 to register.
The Virtual Caregiver Support Group offers a safe place for caregivers to share experiences, advice and practical strategies for managing caregiver responsibilities. All caregivers welcome.
For more information about these programs or to schedule an appointment, please give me, Linda Howard Seeley Swan Resource Specialist, a call at the Seeley Swan Resource Center 406-541-7688.
Enjoy this wonderful spring weather, Linda