Tips before heading out on the ice
December 19, 2019
Before you fire up the snowmobile or get out the ice fishing gear please follow some simple tips and use caution before heading out onto the ice.
For new clear ice only
• UNDER 4 INCHES THICKNESS - STAY OFF
• 4 inch - Ice fishing or other activities on foot
• 5 - 7 inches - Snowmobile or ATV
• 8 - 12 inches - Car or small pickup
• 12 - 15 inches - Medium truck
Many factors other than thickness can cause ice to be unsafe.
White ice or “snow ice” is only about half as strong as new clear ice. Double the above thickness guidelines when traveling on white ice.
It’s a good...