What is Adult Protective Services (APS)?

A Note from Linda

During the holiday season of joyous celebrations with family and friends it is important for us to continue to be mindful of the older adults and those with disabilities in our community. We should ask ourselves the question - "How are they really doing?" If we are concerned with their welfare, each of us has the obligation to alert Adult Protective Services about the situation.

APS are provided to person's age 60 years or older or to physically or mentally disabled adults and adults with intellectual disabilities age 18 and older who are at risk of abuse, sexual abuse, neglect or exploitation.

Abuse may be infliction of physical or mental injury; Neglect may be failure of a person who has responsibility to care for a vulnerable adult to provide services necessary to maintain their physical or mental health; Financial Exploitation occurs when a person misuses or takes the money or property of a vulnerable adult for his/her own personal benefit without the consent of the senior or disabled adult.

The primary responsibilities for APS include receiving reports, conducting investigations and making referral for services with local and state agencies.

If a person whom you are concerned about resides in an assisted living facility or nursing home, you should report the incident to APS and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. If the person resides in the community, report the situation to APS.

APS can be reached by phone Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 1-844-277-9300. Note: this is not a 24-hour number. After regular business hours and weekends emergencies should be called to "911." Online reporting is available 24/7 at: http://www.aps.mt.gov

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman is Mary Dalton of Missoula Aging Services and can be reached at 406-728-7682.

Please help to stop neglect, abuse and exploitation of our vulnerable neighbors.

For questions about APS and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman, please call me, Linda Howard, Seeley-Swan Resource Specialist at 406 541-7688. My office is now in the Seeley Lake Community Foundation Building (the old quilt store).

Have a happy and healthy holiday season,



Reader Comments(0)